Olhão is a picturesque fishing town located in the eastern part of the Algarve region in Portugal. It is known for its vibrant waterfront, traditional markets, and charming old town. Here are some things that make Olhão a great place to visit or live in:
1. Historic charm - Olhão's old town is a charming and atmospheric place, with narrow cobbled streets, whitewashed buildings, and pretty plazas. The town's historical center is a maze of alleyways that wind their way around the waterfront and is home to several notable landmarks, including the Nossa Senhora do Rosário church and the Capela do Carmo.
2. Fish markets - Olhão is known for its fish markets, which are among the most famous in the region. The markets are located near the waterfront and are a hive of activity, with fishermen bringing in their catches each morning and vendors selling a wide range of seafood to locals and tourists alike.
3. Ria Formosa Natural Park - Olhão is located on the edge of the Ria Formosa Natural Park, which is a protected wetland area that is home to a diverse range of bird species, including flamingos, storks, and spoonbills. The park is also home to several beautiful beaches and is a popular spot for hiking, cycling, and birdwatching.
4. Island hopping - Olhão is the departure point for several boat trips to nearby islands, including the Ilha da Culatra and Ilha da Armona. These islands offer pristine beaches, crystal-clear waters, and a relaxed atmosphere, making them the perfect place to escape the hustle and bustle of the town.
5. Gastronomy - Olhão has a rich gastronomic heritage, with a wide range of seafood dishes on offer, including grilled sardines, octopus stew, and prawn curry. The town is also home to several excellent restaurants, cafes, and bars, where you can sample local specialties and enjoy the vibrant atmosphere.
In conclusion, Olhão is a charming fishing town that offers a mix of historic charm, bustling markets, natural beauty, island hopping opportunities, and delicious food. Whether you are looking to explore the town's history, enjoy the natural landscapes, or sample the local cuisine, Olhão has something to offer everyone.